Kubu Consultants Pty Ltd, Pretoria,
Kubu Australia Pty Ltd, Perth, Australia
Kubu capability statement
KUBU is the Sotho word (one of the main South African dialects)
for a hippopotamus. In Africa the saying goes " It is just the ears of the
hippopotamus" which means it is just the tip of the iceberg. That describes Kubu's
KUBU has a unique combination of world-acknowledged experts,
complimenting each other, to provide such a holistic capability as needed in the South
African environment (Kubu Consultants Pty Ltd of Pretoria; started in 1996) and Australian
environment (Kubu Australia Pty Ltd of Perth; started in 1999). The depth of personal
expertise is complimented by the variety of network relationships with traditional
consultants, contractor bodies and client bodies at local, provincial/state and
central/federal government levels. These network relationships come from successful
personal careers in these fields associated with premier institutions and good personal
inter-relationship skills. These network relationships enable KUBU to operate as
specialists with a lean core structure and utilizing the broad support of such network
linked institutions. That describes Kubu's capabilities.
This gives KUBU the ability to operate with broad freedom in areas
- Strategic management
- Institutional change facilitation
- In depth technical expertise for roads, materials and airports
- Technology transfer and implementation.
- Education and training
DEMONSTRATION OF SUCCESSES
Strategic Management, Policy development and Institutional change
- Successful strategic management of business entities and specific
strategic initiatives in Johannesburg, the Greater Johannesburg Transitional Metropolitan
Council (GJTMC) and some of its substructures during a period of high uncertainty and
- Pioneering participation in the pre-investment National Economic
Forum and the formulation of the National Public Works Programme and the successful
implementation of job creation and empowerment programmes in the Greater Johannesburg
using sustained job creation labour based construction and maintenance techniques.
- Acting as strategic change masters in institutions such as
Transportek (CSIR), Murray & Roberts Contractors and Colas SA.
- Promotion, development and launch of the Road Maintenance by Contract
initiative of the Department of Transport promoting the involvement of Small, Medium and
- Participation in the formulation of the green and white papers on
National Transport Policy.
Technical and operational expertise
Environmental consulting for airports including noise,
risk, and forecasting.
Pavement investigation, design and rehabilitation, including FWD,
ASPDS and mechanistic analysis.
Pavement management systems.
Kimberley Soils Laboratory, Broome, Australia
Specialist asphalt materials knowledge with reference to various
- Road rehabilitation and road safety studies in Malawi.
- Development and authorship of various national appropriate standards
for roads, streets and stormwater management.
- Initiation and implementation of a suite of road technical management
information systems at Johannesburg City Council. These included a Pavement Management
System, Stormwater Management System, Bridge Management System, Footway and Verge
Management System and a Geographic Information System.
- Training and empowerment of Small, Medium and Micro Enterprises
through training course development and delivery.
- Initiation and project management of the Johannesburg Athletic
Stadium and other grassroots sport facilities such as the Wembley Indoors Sport Complex
reconstruction during the initial phases of volatile politics and constitutional
- Specialist technical knowledge in road structural design, analysis,
rehabilitation, performance modelling and material behaviour with various projects as
specialist consultants for client bodies, consultants and contractors.
- Airport design, masterplanning, operations and maintenance for
various airport authorities.